Well, it’s been a busy few weeks since I left the business training program. Thankfully I have some work lined up and things may go well for the short-term. For the last while I was working on the design for a plastic enclosure for a customer. Everything went quite well and the customer is an absolute joy to work for/with. Based on a board and taking cues from other ideas, I drafted a simple enclosure for a device. Here are some pictures of the enclosure.
Worked out well…
Also, I am now continuing my foray into the automation stormer viscometer as well as my auditory camera level. Things should go quite well if I bust my ass…
Now that I’m working on the viscometer, again, for Endura; I have come up with a few cheap ways of producing the needed results. They may work, they may not. Anyways, pictures and drawings are forthcoming.
This update is a little bigger than usual since I want keep the images and text as a sort of record of what I did for future reference. For the viscometer project, I’ve discovered that the motor is far too unreliable to produce reliable results despite algorithmic compensation. So now I’ve been charged with the task of creating a torque coupling that fits on to the rotating shaft. Now, there is no problem building the torque sensor, however, what is a problem is making it small and making it send the signal back to the device.
Also, instead of using an Analog Devices AD7705B 16 bit serial out ADC. Frankly, I’ve never used one but the greater resolution should enable more useful measurements.
Anyways, here’s a picture of the torque coupling before I ravaged it with hot glue.
It’s pretty fucking ugly but it’ll work for the time being. I did have the ribs that sit under the sensors quite a bit thicker, but there wasn’t enough strain to be useful for measurement, I had to hacksaw the chunks underneath right off.Unfortunately, I believe the polyurethane glue I used has caused strain on the sensor as it cured, I don’t know of it will go any further.
So, I’ve started on the circuit as of yesterday. I have it set up to take the PICKIT2 interface so that I can hot-program it and I setup the serial out board so that I can output debug data. This works thus far. Soon, I’ll be setting up the ADC and attempting to interface with it.
Here is an image dealing with the read/write cycle on the AD7705, also to note is that the AD7705 is MSB first.