Well, here we are, 2021 is here. Let’s show the shop as it stands in 2021. This is of course only the machining side but in another 10 years the pic will be of interest to people who like this kind of stuff. Also, been here for over 10 years now. wow.
Well, for some time we’ve taken to building new Bore Gage for a customer. In an odd twist, I had very little to do with the mechanical design but was primarily focused on the electronics and software.
Basically what this device does is measure the bore of a hydraulic cylinder in a comparative way all the way down the bore. It uses a Mitutoyo encoder for the diametrical size and a US digital rotary encoder on the wheel to keep track of the distance down the bore. As the device measures, it keeps track of the position and the measurements therein and creates zones where an average, maximum, minimum and sample size is kept. It is then plotted out along the distance.
Anyways, I had some fun doing this project and I am looking forward to doing more.
Like many of my posts, I simply update for the sake of updating. That’s fine as far as I’m concerned. A lot has happened since my last update. Been to Japan, designed a bit of stuff and just have been simply living. Here are a few things I’ve been working on…
So, with that. I finally took the trip I’ve been wanting to go on for 20 years, to Japan. Now, I’m not a real weeaboo or anything but I’ve always been fascinated by the notion of such a large dense city such as Tokyo and so, with my girlfriend, we went to Tokyo for almost two weeks. It was absolutely amazing!
All in all, I’ve been enjoying my days, playing Rust and just plugging away.
It been some time since I’ve updated this blog. While I have designed and made quite a few things, it’s been at the very bottom of my list to update this blog. Anyways, here are a few things I’ve worked on or am working on.
New RTJ gage
So, in an effort to simplify the manufacturing and generalize the usage of the gage I have redesigned it. With 3/4″ of travel it will allow for the use of almost any attachment along with the balls that typically fit something like this.
Still will take some time to actually manufacture it but whatever.
A quick gage for a customer
These were commissioned from a customer for the quick checking of a particular size on a production job.
Nothing too spectacular there.
I’ve worked on a few other things such as the forklift safety system. This device was meant to be attached to the forklift and engage a horn when the forklift went to fast. It was completed but the company no longer required it.
Anyways, time to start some more interesting projects in the future.
So I’ve decided to get my feet wet again with programming after a long hiatus doing other things like photography and electronics. I thought I wouldn’t have any problem programming again but little did I realize how trained your mind becomes with certain patterns of thought through programming. Electronics, being a utilization of a natural force, is often non-linear in nature and required a different mind set, even small numbers of components can produce complex results/problems.
So for the last few days I’ve been trying to make a new program based on an idea I’ve had for some time, the name of this idea is Notary. Notary is a very simple program in implementation but if you keep up with entering data into it, it becomes useful.
Here is the premise of Notary:
User(s) are greeted with nothing more than a window with a text box.
The User enters any kind of text, for example, a phone number along with a name or a description of how you solved a problem
the text is stored in a very simple database, essentially an ascii file with record headers and unique IDs
The user can then later search the database to retrieve information that is directly or indirectly related to a search term
This sort of approach has probably been taken before but in much more complicated ways. I intend for the computer to search and present the information appropriately rather than the user trying to wrack their brains to make the data useful or search the data.
Here are some of the key ideas:
Make the interface simple. Hence, the simpler and easier it is to use, the more likely a person is to enter the data.
Allow future replacement and deletion of data, but never get rid of it, allow for future recovery and allow indirect search through this void data.
Allow 2nd to 3rd order matches to a keyword, in other words, allow the relationships from the keywords have record commonalities from 2 or 3 levels away. Inference of this kind, especially on large databases, allows for unexpected info recollection.
Allow database blending, thus you can have multiple databases blended together from various locations at any time.
Hopefully I can implement these ideas well. I’ll keep working on it, and if anyone actually reads this site, I post it as well in one of my side pages.
For the last couple of days I’ve been toying with the building of a site to showcase the kinds of things I do. While it’s been some time since I’ve actually finished a project, I can kind of feel the inspiration hitting me again, thus the site.
Let’s see if I can stay on track and make frequent posts to the blog and updates to my projects.